A Proposal for the 28th Amendment (Amendment XXVIII)
The Congress makes the following findings:
1. Firearms injure and kill people.
2. There is common agreement that the right to bear arms articulated in 2nd Amendment (Amendment II) of the Bill of Rights was given to the people of the United States for their safety and protection and the US Supreme Court ruled in 2010 (District of Columbia v Heller), that this right was not linked with service in a militia.
3. There are almost enough firearms for every woman, child and man in the country (1, 2) and, 47% of households (3) in the United States possess a firearm.
4. Firearms are a danger to the health and welfare of the citizenry based on their role in the morbidity and mortality of people, especially vulnerable populations such as children, women with violent partners, and people who live in poor, urban settings
5. Therefore, in light of this demonstration of the crisis in our nation, it is the sense of the Congress that prevention of injury and death is a very important government interest and the policy stated in section 6 below is intended to address this crisis.
6. As of February 1, 2013, there will be a moratorium on the sales of ALL firearms in the United States. This moratorium DOES NOT infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms as granted them by Amendment II in the Bill of Rights in the Constitution of the United States and supported by the US Supreme Court.
(1) The Congressional Research Service, estimates there are 310 million firearms in the USA (Gun Control Legislation, William J. Krouse, Nov 12, 2012, p. 8)
(2) The US Census estimates that there are 314 million people in the United States (2012 estimate).
(3) Gallup poll on October 26, 2011
- Policy provokes me to think and write. I currently work in ivory towers inspiring people to engage in their world. I am a student of the human condition and my classroom is the world. I don't need credentials to have an opinion but I've got paper to prove I know a few things about public health, social welfare and economics. I'm coming out of the tower and taking the words to the people and hope you will send some words back at me.