Skip to main content

Rush Limbaugh and the reputation of women

Patriarchy and Women's Sexuality


It's an interesting artifact of patriarchy that women's sexuality is prized. Thus ruining it in any way ruins the woman. The words whore and slut  become weapons that have no equivalent in the sphere of males. In honoring a woman's 'honor' we revisit the impact that this honor has on the reputation of a family. In the most extreme cases a woman is killed in order to protect the honor of her family and rape during conflict is not just about the violation of self and person but of reputation that ruins a woman's life chances.

Rush Limbaugh and Sandra Fluke


So Rush Limbaugh understood that there was no power in attacking Sandra Fluke's intelligence or her looks. Instead, he went for what would be the most inflammatory: an attack on her sexual 'purity'. Some anachronistic notion that should women have many sexual partners they are morally inferior and less worthy. Or that should they accept money for sexual pleasure then they are less than. Attitudes that prevent women from seeking recourse in the criminal justice system for sexual crimes. Attitudes that women reinforce by continuing to be outraged by 'accusations' that are no longer 'accusations' at all. The more we reinforce these social scripts that oppress us the more power these scripts have, despite slutwalks and campaigns to legalize the marketing of sexual favors.

A Woman's Reputation and the Sexual Revolution

To pressure sponsors to withdraw support from Rush Limbaugh we acknowledge that these notions about the 'sanctity' of a woman's sexual purity are indeed correct. And that calling women these names impunes their reputation, a 'false' reputation reinforced by white wedding dresses and the giving away of brides.

That Mr Limbaugh goes beyond the pale to rile up audiences and get ratings has never been in dispute. But that he went for a woman's sexual expression was not simply a factor of the context of the discussion of contraception but a social context in which a woman is still expected to restrain herself sexually. So much for the sexual revolution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good intentions, exploitation and studying 'the poor'

I am an academic and thus I am required to do research and to write. As someone who studied sociology, social welfare, public health, international health, and economics I am plenty equipped to study poverty and the lives of poor people. And in my areas of study, these are the people of whom we ask questions, whether here or abroad.Were I to do a search of any library database using poverty as a keyword, I will get hundreds of hits for journal articles published in the past month alone. But I have decided that I will no longer study 'poverty' or 'the poor' because I find it exploitative in its convenience, somewhat useless in its findings and creates a conundrum in its recommendations: how to change poverty by changing the poor. We study how the poor shop, what they eat, what they drink, how fat they are, how (un)educated they are, how much health care they (don't) get, how they parent, and how a wide range of social, political and economic factors interact to inf

Family Planning Summit and the Voice of Poor Women

I decided to edit this piece to start with a video of Melinda Gates talking about her privilege to travel the world and meet women whose voices are not heard on the world stage and so she feels it is her obligation to speak on behalf of them. This gets at the heart of why I wrote this piece so I will let her speak in her own words before I speak mine in response: Melinda Gates interview on her work as family planning advocate I work in the development industry. Sometimes. I have worked in the family planning sector a long time. I have worked in safe motherhood a long time. And I have worked in AIDS. (That these are not integrated in the development sector is a topic for another post). I came to development through childhood experiences with development workers whose ideas were formed in some office far, far away using the most recent data and information on my Jamaican community. They were talented, mulitlingual and well-intentioned. But something about the experience left an ind

Goodbye Blogger, Hello Medium

Thank you for reading my posts on Provoking Policy. It has been a wonderful journey as a writer to be able to share my rants on issues that matter to me at various points in time. From now on, I will be writing on Medium as Ruth C. White, PhD . I have chosen Medium as a platform because it gives me more of an opportunity to read, write and share stories that matter.